- Physical therapy (also known as physiotherapy) is an applied science profession concerned with the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of diseases and disability through physical means.
- It also focusses on method of evaluating functions of body systems and on the selection and application of appropriate therapeutic interventions to relieve pain, eliminate impairments, maintain, improve or restore function and prevent dysfunction.
- Advancement in medical field and awareness of disability prevention have increased the role of physical therapy in healthcare.
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Physical therapists play an essential role in today’s healthcare environment and are recognized as vital providers of rehabilitation for impairments, functional limitations and disabilities resulting from:
- Neurological disorders
- Musculoskeletal disorders
- Cardiopulmonary disorders
- Pediatric problems
- Sports injuries
- Balance disorders
- Our program is focused on enabling graduates in meeting challenges of a dynamic healthcare environment using strong theoretical, practical, clinical and research based teaching methodologies.
- Students are well equipped with learning and practice tools that will help them competently function in variety of work settings in the field of physical therapy.
- Major hallmarks of studying physical therapy at NIU are:
- Experienced subject specialists as basic and clinical science faculty.
- Well-developed network of clinical training facilities offering best physical therapy training by highly competent clinicians for four decades.
- The faculty at NIU trains students according to problem based learning approach which is a rigorous, highly structured teaching methodology that places the student in a position of active responsibility for learning and mastering content.
- Physiotherapy faculty is well experienced in all clinical areas of study and involved in patient care at NIU affiliated Fatima Memorial Hospital
|Farhia ShahHead of Department
Doctorate of physical therapy (USA)
|Muhammad Usman RiazSenior Lecturer/Sr. Physiotherapist
|Zargham AbbasSenior Lecturer/Sr. Physiotherapist
Physical therapists work in variety of settings including:
- Rehabilitation centers
- Special schools
- Sports teams
- Private clinics
- Home healthcare agencies
- Colleges and Universities teaching physical therapy
- Physical therapists can pursue further studies up to MS, M.Phil, and PhD
- Field has recently become well developed in specialized areas (i.e. Musculoskeletal, Neurological, Cardiopulmonary etc.) hence post-graduation opportunities exist locally and worldwide in all specialties of physical therapy.
|Faculty||Faculty of applied sciences|
|Degree length||5 Years|
|Attendance type||Full time|
|Total credit hours||179|
Applicants who have successfully completed One of the following can apply for DPT program:
- Sc. (Pre-medical)
- O levels(in at least 6 subjects) and A levels (in at least 3 full credit courses)
- American High School Diploma (HSD)
- International Baccalaureate (IB