QUANTITATIVE DATA ANALYSIS TECHNIQUES USING SPSS
SPSS is one of the most extensively used computer software for statistical analysis to organize, interpret, and present the results. It is used by different disciplines such as healthcare, social sciences, market research, education research, data mining, and others. This is an instructor-led workshop with hands-on practice on a set of pre-prepared exercises. SPSS is a great tool of data handling and analysis in social sciences research. Other tools such as excel and several databases are also used for the same purpose but SPSS provides an easy access to descriptive statistics and also provides a diverse variety of charts & graphs; better and more flexible pivot tables and provides a full set of statistical tests.
This short course aims to:
- Introduce the fundamentals of SPSS and related features.
- Provide a unique opportunity to learn how to use SPSS for analyzing, interpreting, and reporting the results quantitatively.
- Make the participants learn the methods of input and data processing, statistical methods and models, and presentation of research results in SPSS.
Contents of the Workshop
This short course has two modules.
- Introduction to SPSS
- Defining Variables & Data Coding
- Entering Data into SPSS
- Data Transformations
- Differential Hypothesis
- Reliability Test
- Descriptive Statistics
- Measurement of Central Tendency (Mean, Mode, Median, Standard Deviation, Frequency Tables)
- Charts and Graphs (Histogram, Pie Chart, Boxplots, Bar Charts)
- Cross tabulation
- Chi-Square for Cross Tabs
- Procedures for Comparing Groups (Independent Samples T-Test, Dependent ‘Paired’ Samples T-Test, One-way ANOVA, Two-way ‘Factorial’ ANOVA)
- Procedures for Exploring Relationships (Bivariate Correlation, Simple Regression, Multiple Regression)
Who should attend?
BS final year students; MS/M.Phil & PhDs; Faculty Members from different departments e.g., Medical, Management Sciences, Anthropology, Archaeology, Psychology, Sociology, Commerce, Economics, Linguistics, Communications Studies, International Relations, Criminology and other researchers of Social Sciences who are pursuing their independent study; Thesis/Dissertation; and looking for Quantitative Data Analysis Techniques.
What is included in the workshop?
- Hands-on practice using the latest version of the SPSS package
- Student manual (hard copy) with step-by-step processes to practice on all discussed exercises
- Certificate for the participants
Dr. Babar Aziz, PhD Economics,
Professor, Dean of Academic Affairs,
Dean of Humanities and Social Sciences
Sarah Wasim, Lecturer of Economics,
Department of Economics, NUR International University
Biography of Instructors:
- Babar Aziz is a Professor of Economics at the NUR International University. He is also Dean of Academic Affairs and Dean of Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences at NIU since 2016. Dr. Aziz received his PhD in Economics from Bahauddin Zakaryia University and MPhil from Quaid-i-Azam University. Prior to his appointment at NIU, he was on the economics faculty of Forman Christian College (2010-2016) most recently as Professor and Head of the Economics Department. He has also served at Government College University, Bahauddin Zakaryia University, Quaid-i-Azam University and Pakistan Institute of Development Economics. He is also a referee for numerous academic journals. His research interests lie in the areas of applied microeconomics and development economics. He has authored or co-authored more than 23 articles and professional reports. He has supervised 25 MPhil and 4 Master’s theses. In recognition of his services, he was conferred the Best Teacher in the Punjab distinction award in 2005 by Government of the Punjab.
- Sarah Wasim is a Lecturer of Economics at NUR International University. She received her MS in Applied Economics degree from Forman Christian College (A Chartered University). Before joining NIU, she served as a Research Associate at a consulting firm and worked on different projects from 2016-2017. She has also served as a lecturer of Economics at Department of Business and Economics at Forman Christian College from 2014-2016. She has authored three articles and presented one of her research paper at an International Conference.
Duration, Venue & Fee
- Dates: July 15, 2019, to August 09, 2019
- Timings: 10:00 am to 01:00 pm (Three days a week)
- Venue: NUR International University, 11/1 B, Model Town Lahore
- Fee: 9000 (including 2000 registration fee prior to 15th June 2019)
Register yourself before 28th June, 2019
For further information contact:
Dr. Imran Hanif 0333-6300657
Dr. Babar Aziz 0332-7739447
You can also email at: